Sunday, April 19, 2009

Here's to a new beginning

April 19, 2009

This is a new beginning of my blog "career".  I haven't blogged in months and I am going to restart.

It is Sunday night and I have had a great Spring Break... I just wish it didn't have to end quite yet. I stayed in Florence the Thursday we got out for break and that night I just hung out with two of my very good friends, Chris Cantey and Drake Johnston.  The three of us had a great time, Chris and I listened to and recorded Drake while he played the piano.  I cannot seem to remember what I did Friday but on Saturday I babysat my nephew, Bryson.  On Sunday, I went to church at NewSpring and enjoyed the Easter service. After church I went home and had lunch with my family and I hid eggs for Bryson to find.  Monday and Tuesday were pretty uneventful but Wednesday was a great day.  

On Wednesday, I was able to go down to Charleston or "Chuck Town" as it has come to be known.  I left Florence around 10:30 a.m. with Chris and Drake.  We arrived around lunch time and we walked around for a while and then ate at Dunkin' Donuts because we were all "broke"; which is common for teenagers.  After lunch we walked downtown and then played frisbee at the Battery, where five female students from The College of Charleston were sitting next to Drake as he tried to gain some extra cash by playing the guitar.  Personally, I think they were watched Chris and I more than they did Drake but I'll never know.  

Drake is one gifted musician.  He is a great guitarist and is improving drastically everyday.  He also can play the piano, sing, and play just about any other instrument you put into his hands. Yes, he can play the guitar like a professional but I was (and still am) most impressed with his piano skills.  He has only been playing since last summer and he sounds like he has been playing for ten years.  I also enjoy listening to him sing.  He has a great sounding voice and it compliments his guitar and piano playing.  

After we were serenaded by Drake's music, we headed to the heart of downtown Charleston, Market Street.  On Market Street, we found a long "U" shaped stone bench and Chris and I told Drake to go to one side and start playing guitar and Chris and I sat on the other side so it would not look like we knew Drake.  Drake opened his guitar case and set up a "tip" can and started playing.  After two and a half hours of sitting and listening, Drake had made over thirty dollars in tips; thirty-four to be exact.  He collected generous tips from the locals and tourists alike, as well as attract another group of college girls.  They stayed for at least half the time.  

I had joked with Drake all day about how he was going to buy me dinner if he made money playing on the side of the market and sure enough, after make thirty-four dollars, he bought me dinner.  I was very grateful because again, I did not have anymore money.  We were accompanied by another good friend of mine whom I met on a mission trip in New Orleans. She lives in Charleston so I figured I would call her.  I introduced her to Chris and Drake and I think Chris might have a little crush on her but we won't get into that.  We drove home after dinner and that was Wednesday.

Thursday was another great day.  I went to Garden City Beach with some friends of mine.  Garden City was a whole lot of fun; besides the fact that it was very windy and chilly the whole time.  Despite the chill, on Friday, I mustered up the courage to ride jet skis around the channel that ran behind our beach house.  The water was cold but I barely go wet. My legs and feet got wet from spray but that was tolerable.  I did that for the entire day and then left early Saturday morning so I could babysit my nephew all day.

Today has been an alright day.  I went to breakfast with my father at IHOP and I enjoyed it but I also felt guilty for not going to church when I could have easily chosen to attend.  I will admit I was just lazy.  I went to see State of Play with my father at noon.  I cleaned my room this afternoon and then hung out with Chris for a couple hours.  I had a WyldLife leader meeting tonight to discuss what we would be doing for "Club" on Tuesday night.  I got home and sat down at the computer and decided to blog.

I've decided to blog not only because I have not in a while, but also because of the movie State of Play.  It was about a newspaper reporter who was trying to uncover the facts about a congressman who was accused of having an affair with one of his staff members.  One thing led to another and as it turns out, he uncovered the truth and wrote about it.  While the movie was playing, I was thinking about how I could see myself as a reporter or a journalist.  I always have a lot to say and I enjoy putting my thoughts out onto paper, or in this case, the computer.  I have been inspired to go into journalism before; also from movies.  One movie was The Bourne Ultimatum.  It is not exactly a movie about uncovering the truth about corrupt congressmen but it did have a reporter in it and I admired his lifestyle.  The lifestyle of always being on the move trying to get more information about your assigned story.  

The other movie was Marley and Me.  The plot of the movie was about a reporter who became a columnist, writing about his life with his new dog.  Marley was his name and he was "the world's worst dog".  He was always getting into trouble and chewing up furniture but the family fell in love with him because he was great with the children.  The columns he wrote were funny and became an instant hit with the local readers.  I saw how the journalist in Marley and Me lived and I was impressed but again, I was most impressed by how he was always writing and doing what he loved.  

I am currently a senior and will be attending Coastal Carolina University next fall.  Coastal Carolina is not exactly a school for aspiring journalists but I was thinking about transferring after the first semester anyway so I figured I would transfer to the University of South Carolina and change my major to Journalism and Mass Communications.  As of right now, I think I am going to do that.  I am currently signed up for Management at Coastal but I do not know if that is for me anymore.  I originally wanted to major in Business and minor in Religious Studies at the University of South Carolina or even the College of Charleston.  I have wanted to be a youth minister for a couple years and that is where the Religious Studies idea came from but you don't need that major, let alone minor, in order to be a leader.  I would still love to be a youth minister but I think I may want journalism more.  I could however, use the business as a minor in case the journalism does not work out.  

I will pray for guidance and enjoy the rest of high school in the mean time.  I also have to get through at least a semester at Coastal Carolina before I can set off on this "dream" of being a journalist.  I hope the few readers of this blog were not too bored reading this and I apologize if you were but I feel like it is necessary to start my blog "career".  

Wish me luck!!






No comments:

Post a Comment